(serves 4 as a side)
- 300ml thickened cream (or pouring cream)
- ½ cup full cream milk
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled & crushed)
- 1 tsp fresh nutmeg (finely grated or substitute for 1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg)
- 1kg Crème Royale potatoes (about six medium)
- 1 red onion (we used Tuscan Red Onion)
- 100g (1 cup, firmly packed) grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 50g butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C on Fan Forced (or 200 degrees without the fan).
- Combine cream, milk, garlic, nutmeg and S&P in a large jug.
- Peel potatoes and cut into slices about ½ cm thick. Peel the onion and cut into ½ cm thick rings.
- Grease a 2.6 ltr baking dish well with butter. Layer the potatoes and onion as evenly as possible in the baking dish.
- Pour cream mixture over the top of the potato & onion and give it a little shake to help it settle in and around the veggies.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper gently on top of the potatoes. Cover with foil and scrunch it tightly all the way around the dish.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until potato is tender when pierced with a knife. Remove the baking paper and aluminium foil.
- Increase oven temperature to 200 degrees C fan forced (or 220 without the fan). Sprinkle the top with grated cheese. Return to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted, bubbling and golden. Set aside for 10 minutes before serving.