- 1kg of medium sized crème royale potatoes washed and peeled (serves 4)
- Olive Oil 2-3 tablespoons
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 4-6cm chunks
- Place in a large saucepan cover with cold water and bring to the boil over medium to high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes or until partially cooked (just tender when pierced with a fork)
- Drain potatoes well and return to saucepan over a low heat until remaining water evaporates.
- Shake saucepan with vigour to rough up surface of potatoes or scrape surface with a fork for rough texture. This is the important step to make them crunchy when roasted.
- Pour oil into a large roasting pan and place in oven for 5 minutes or until oil is hot.
- With tongs add potatoes to hot oil, turning potatoes to coat in oil and salt to taste.
- Roast potatoes for 40 – 50 minutes, turning occasionally during this time.
- Potatoes should be golden in colour and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, season as required and serve immediately.
Variations and Tips
- Best time to put the potatoes in the oven is 40 minutes before the meat comes out. Potatoes can finish off on the top shelf in oven for the last 10 minutes for perfection whilst the meat is resting.
- Ensure potatoes are spread out evenly in one layer in the roasting pan, not all on top of one another as this will steam them rather than roast them.
- The addition of other hard vegetables in the roasting pan such as parsnips and carrots will enhance the meal and adding garlic or herbs such as rosemary leaves can be done to suit individual taste.
This entry was posted in Simple Recipes
. Bookmark the permalink